Friday, April 17, 2009

Glow in the dark thread

I gave this Superior Threads NiteLite Extra Glow thread a try for use as a dreamcatcher on a 34mm paracord covered split ring. I blunted a large sewing needle, on a diamond file, to help with feeding the thread over/around the loops when making it.

Being 30wt polyester thread, it turned out okay as a pendant to hang on a necklace or from the truck's rearview mirror, but it's not strong enough, like the 0.9mm nylon cord, to be used as a fob or lanyard. Maybe if I twisted 3 or 4 strands of it together, like a rope, it might then work... That's would be a lot of extra work, but still something different to try adding to various paracord projects.

The glow is actually not bad considering how thin the thread is and the package info said it will glow for at least 6 hours. It was still visible after that when I hung it from a nightstand lamp to test it.

9 comments:

Ian said...

I think that's pretty cool stuff, but then again I tend to like GITD stuff

SurvivalTopics.com said...

You always have such well made creations. They really are beautiful.

Walden said...

I love all the dream catcher stuff you are making.

Ceridwen said...

Super clever.

Chris said...

I did one with hi-viz fishing line and it looked similar to this one without the glow. In sunlight, the yellow fishing line glowed very brightly.

I also used a needle to make mine. Also tried one with Spiderwire brand fishing line.

Trailmaster said...

Superb work!

But can anyone tell me, is such stuff like dreamcatcher decoration only, or it has some practical sense?

Stormdrane said...

I just used it for it's decorative sense, but the same hitching process can be useful for making things like nets, on a larger scale.

Darik08 said...

Question is how do you mkae it? Where are the instructions....

Stormdrane said...

The link showing how to tie a dreamcatcher and work paracord over a key ring are in this blog post.