Monday, February 29, 2016

Tax time again, eBay to the rescue, I hope...

I've started listing some things from the gadget drawer collection on eBay, edc keychain setups with paracord lanyards, flashlights, pocket knives, multitools and whatnot, some having been used in previous blog, forum, and other online posts, to raise money to pay my tax bill this year as I did last year, plus I have to pay the added fine/penalty for not having health insurance as well.  This batch of listings ends at 10PM EST, March 6, 2016.

This first batch of items went up last night and is running for a week, and I'm fairly sure I'll need to list more to get things in order.

I'm using auction style listings, starting each at $0.99 and doing 'Free Shipping' for buyers, so I'm paying those costs myself, plus the eBay and PayPal fees, so I hope I get enough to cover the expenses and have something leftover when things are done.

The basic eBay listing fees are low, even free in some instances unless you add in extras to get more traffic and attention grabbing features, but they take a whopping 10% of whatever an item finally sells for, and PayPal gets a chunk too.

The USPS has raised some shipping costs this year, which I realized when I sent a Small Flat Rate Priority box a few weeks ago, with the price going from $5.25 to now being $6.80, a hefty rise for a preferred method of shipping.

International shipping and tracking is already sky high and there are the issues with customs and restrictions/laws on items like knives, so I've just kept the listings domestic for now.

Packaging, tape, shipping labels, and printer ink add up to draining a wallet too, and that can be discouraging when selling items, but I'll just have to hope things work out.
Stormdrane x Mochibrand Drawstring Backpack Venom
*I'm an Amazon and ShareASale/Mochibrand affiliate, I receive a small percentage from the sale of each VENOM/VENOM RED mochi by Stormdrane drawstring backpack.


Donald Dobesh said...

This is the second year in a row I was able to win something in your auction. It wasn't my original item to choose but at least I helped drive up the price on a couple of items for you. Hope you met your goal. Thanks for the blog that I continue to enjoy over and over again.

Stormdrane said...

Thank you, much appreciated. :)