Monday, June 16, 2008

Weaving with three warps...


A paracord bracelet done by weaving with three warps. This could also be done as a watchband, pet collar, or hatband. The basic weaving method is shown in Stuart Grainger's 'Creative Ropecraft'.

Online examples of variations with this pattern, that may be tied differently but look similar when finished, can be seen done as a paracord lanyard/fob by Colby, a tutorial by MinorCuts, another as the Ladder Rack knot, and again as a Paracord D-guard, and another example here.

More examples and variations can be found in books like, 200 Braids, The Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Ropework(out of print, but you might find a one on ebay), and Ashley's Book of Knots.

I was sent this photo of a woven sling pouch, I think from this forum, and that reminded me of the Slinging.org link that I've had on my links list for awhile. There are a couple of nice examples of woven sling pouches over there, like this one in paracord and another with a bit more weaving. I have a simple rope sling I bought a few years ago, but still haven't made my own yet... another project to consider.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful craft.

Thor said...

I'm doing a regular cobra and it keeps twisting. Any hints as to how to cure this problem - or does it matter?

Thanks!

dbk

Stormdrane said...

The regular cobra stitch/Solomon bar/Portuguese sinnet/square knot should not twist when done correctly.

Sometimes a twist will develop if two half knots are done in succession(twist stitch) and you just untie that section and tie it over. Or it could be that your core strands of the stitch are twisting for some reason and need to be twisted straight as you work.

Thor said...

Thanks so much! I figured out what I was doing wrong - operator error :D
I've also ordered 50' of glow cord, and a bunch of clips to work with. I'm looking forward to trying out your lanyard knot demo movie too, to try to finish the end a bit nicer on a ckrt knife handle i'm wrapping.

Thanks!

dbk

CBatesPI said...

Great work. You are the reason I have gotten into knots. Some I do well, some I don't. I'd love to see a tutorial or a short video on this bracelet. Ive seen the others that you listed, but I like the way yours looks better.

Stormdrane said...

I've put up a tutorial for it on the instructables website.