Monday, August 13, 2012

Survival Tin/Playing Card EDC Paracord Pouch...

I wanted to make a paracord pouch for a deck of playing cards and it just worked out to also fit an Altoids type survival tin.

I started with a long Solomon bar/cobra stitch/Portuguese sinnet, with some olive drab paracord, 16 feet I think, that fit around the outside dimensions of a standard deck of playing cards inside their box, which was about 15+ inches with the loop end to be used with a BDU button closure.

I tried weaving the sides at that point with another length of paracord, but found the Solomon bar wasn't wide enough, so I started over, making another wider bar, but that wasn't quite right either, and I finally decided on a doubled Solomon bar/king cobra stitch, done just loose enough to allow weaving around the bights/edges.

I retied the olive drab Solomon bar then added the second layer with a 40 foot length of black paracord.  This turned out to be long enough for doubling the bar and the remaining strands on each side were long enough to do the weaving on each side of the pouch.  The doubled bar and weaving is all one single length of paracord, and I just had a little bit of paracord left to trim off each side at the finish.

The weaving process was done with running the working strands back and forth through the edges of the bar, while I held it around the deck of cards, giving the pouch it's shape.  I went from the top, going side-to-side to the bottom edge of the pouch, then wove the strand over/under from the bottom to the top horizontal strand at the open end, then back down, six times on each side of the pouch.  Note that there needs to be a bit of slack in the cords to be woven around as they'll tighten up as you work.  You can go back afterwards and work the slack out and straighten out the overs/unders to neaten it all up.

After weaving there was enough room for one more horizontal weave along the bottom edge on each side, then I used  needle and thread to secure the ends, trim and tucking those, and then sewing on the BDU button.

The top of the woven sides doesn't quite run straight across the sides, so if I make another, I'll try to get that worked out, but other than that leaving a bit of a gap with the top flap, I'm satisfied with the pouch.  Another piece of cord could be added to one side of the pouch for a belt loop, but I'm leaving this one as is.

Various different knotted/woven paracord bracelet patterns could be used instead of a king cobra/doubled Solomon bar, as long as they're wide enough and have suitable edges to weave the cord around.

Also shown used as a front pocket pouch for carrying my Leatherman Wave, Titanium Widgy Pry Bar, and JETBeam AA LED Flashlight.  I may try cutting up a plastic/nylon notebook cover to rig up a divider for individual slot compartments.

Maybe a smaller version for a Zippo lighter pouch, or even just top and bottom sleeve sections to make a lighter cover...

Not a full tutorial, but I added a collage of process photos for making the pouch.  Clicking on the photo will enlarge it, and sometimes right clicking and choosing 'view image' will offer the largest available image to see more detail.

I didn't have a BDU button handy, so with this navy blue and red paracord version, I added a single strand star knot for the knot/loop closure, and I did not use any needle/thread on this one, ends were all tucked inside to finish.  A cross concho might also work...

The starting cobra stitch/Solomon bar/Portuguese sinnet tied in red paracord was 15.5 inches long to fit around the deck of cards, using just a tad over 15 feet of cord, and after working the slack out and straightening the woven sections, a little over 38 feet of navy blue paracord was used of the 40 foot length I started with.  The star knot was tied with another strand of cord and the strand from it worked over and around the knot below it to secure it, with the excess tucked inside the pouch.

I've added a few more pics/collage of the start, with the 15" long Solomon bar/cobra stitch section with 2" loop at the end, which fit around my standard deck of playing cards in their box.  Shown loosely fitted around the box to gauge fit, the ends of that knotted length of cord can be trimmed then sewn, melted, or glued in place, or tucked/pulled under with hemostats then trimmed.  Next is starting the double Solomon bar/king cobra stitch from the loop end with the center of the 40' length of paracord.

You could do the entire project with one longer continuous length of paracord instead of two, and if I'd done that, I would probably use a 60 foot length to start for a pouch that fit the playing cards.  More paracord would certainly be needed for a larger pouch, it really will vary depending on the object you're tying it around.

A work-in-progress photo of a small open top pouch, using 1.4mm cord, to hold a slim Ronson torch lighter.  A little bit larger and I think it would make a nice business card holder...

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll do one of those for my iphone. Thanks for the idea.

The Geeks Paradise said...

That is an awesome idea. I've got a ton of Altoids cans that I use for mini-survival kits and to keep char cloth/fire starter materials in.

Thanks for the idea. I'll be adding this to my to-do list!

smet337 said...

Stormdrane,This is why I'am addicted to your site.Very very cool!!Another great example of master tying and imagination.As always can not wait to see what is next.Thanks Scot

curchin said...

Great idea. Very cool!

Parker said...

you're THE BEST there is when it comes to paracord I may be 13 and I do paracord myself and I've made and sold around 50 bracelets not including lanyards, monkey fists and lighter wraps. I've only been doing this stuff for around 8 months and I taught myself every thing I know but seeing some of the stuff you do I realize that I still have a long ways to go before I'm any where as good as you are. and I would be so greatful if you could give me some tips

Stormdrane said...

@Parker, Learning knot work is a never ending process of practicing tying things you see and exploring new ways to use old knots, and like JD of TIAT and others in the growing knotting community, sometimes creating new ones.

Use books and online references to see what's out there and make tying something that you enjoy doing. ;)

Dan said...

SD - wow! This is probably the craziest paracord project I've seen from you in a long while. Very cool. I love the idea for a zippo cover, that would be sweet.

Home on the Range said...

I need something for the Ipod and accessories, that would work nicely I think.

One House One Couple said...

wow, that is really cool! Great job! :)

~Lisha

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is really awesome work! I'm new to this, but I love making projects out of altoids boxes (like solar powered battery USB packs) and giving them to friends as gifts. Adding a paracord wrap to the altoids tin would be an even better gift.

Can you please show more detailed step-by-step instructions on how a beginner can make this? (or is it too advanced for a beginner?)

Again, top-notch work!

Stormdrane said...

@Anonymous, This project might be a bit much for a beginner, probably more appropriate for someone that has at least tied a few basic paracord bracelets and maybe done a bit of weaving.

There are so many variables depending on what object you're going to tie the pouch around and possible finishing methods, that I haven't explored them all myself yet to decide on which I like best.

Of what I've shown so far is using two strands of paracord, but using just one length is feasible as is using multiple different colors is too.

Adding in a button or star knot are just two closure finishes requiring more sewing knowledge or knotting knowledge, but using side release buckles, a diamond knot, button knot, or screw based concho offer other options on securing the pouch closed... ;)

Shades Blinds said...

Thanks for the idea. I'll be adding this to my to-do list!

Anonymous said...

I am interested in ur paracord products is it possible to purchase any of these items
Thanks
Countryboybrandl

Stormdrane said...

@Anonymous, I rarely sell to avoid getting burned out on my hobby, and encourage folks to give tying a try themselves. ;)

Brenden said...

Stormdrane, how long on average does it take you to do one of these? I just spent 3 1/2 hrs on it and I still have the vertical weaves on one side. I found it very hard to get any between previous weaves because they were too tight. Also my paracord needle was really sharp and thick and kept catching the paracord and tearing small holes that lead to major fray. I must say, yours looks amazing haha

Stormdrane said...

@Brenden, It may take several hours from start to finish the first couple of times you tie one, but once you know what you're doing, the amount of time involved comes down considerably with less guess work.

The weaving can get very tight, and appear uneven, but if you left enough slack before starting, it's still doable, and you can go back and tighten/straighten everything out.

If your needle is snagging, try using some fine sandpaper to smooth it out or blunt the tip some more so that doesn't occur. And have patience with the time consuming projects, the reward of a well made piece is worth it... ;)

Brenden said...

Finally finished it. Doesn't look amazing but job is done [IMG]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/ace8bullard/American%20Paracord%20Co/ResizedImage_1349467406157.jpg[/IMG]

Stormdrane said...

@Brenden, It looks like a well done pouch to me. The first time can always be a challenge, but I think that just makes it worth the experience. :)

Unknown said...

Love this blog and it is what inspired me to start weaving para cord. Stormdrane I would be honored if you would look at my blog and give me your opinion of my work. Cobraweave.blogspot.com also what kind of needle are you using for this project and where did you pick it up?

Stormdrane said...

@Bryan, Your knot work looks good. I'd suggest taking and sharing lots of pictures, that's something that keeps me interested when surfing blogs.

I often use Permal Lok lacing needles. The Jumbo and Super Jumbo come in handy with paracord projects and their smaller needle works with lesser diameter cordage... ;)

Unknown said...

Did you take gut the paracord to do any of this project? It's a killer awesome pouch and I'm going to try it.... It seems a little easier than some of the super cool stuff you wrap with the Turks head (my arch nemesis knot)

Stormdrane said...

@Candace, I left the inner strands intact for the pouches that I made. ;)

Unknown said...

how do you do the weaving on the case? I am trying to make something similar because this is awesome. the only thing I can't figure out is how you did the actual weaving.

Stormdrane said...

@karsten, The weaving is done after the outer frame knot is done, king cobra/doubled Solomon bar, and the working strands on each side are used to go loosely side to side from the top of the pouch to the bottom, as shown in the photo collage.

Then the working ends go over/under up and down to complete the weaving. It can get tight as you work and look a little messy, but you go back and work the slack out from start to finish to tighten and straighten it up... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi, are there video tutorial? I try, but I make always mistakes.

Stormdrane said...

@Anonymous, I have not made a video tutorial. You can search on YouTube for others that have made similar paracord pouches with slight variations.

Unknown said...

Awesome, Do you have future plans of doing a video on this ? I am new to paracording ( less than a month ) But would love to make one of these with a belt loop for an Iphone

Anonymous said...

i would love it if you could post better instructions we tried making one and it hasnt turned out like yours. better instructions or even a video of you making one would be great!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I made one a few years ago for my iPhone but only used single cobra. Double is perfect. Awesome a lot of applications; survival pouch, money pouch, card holder, phone, endless...this is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hey Stormdrane, I am a big fan of your knot work. I'm just curious where you get your smaller cord, such as your 1.4 mm cordage?

Stormdrane said...

@Anonymous, Check my blog's links list for smaller cord sources: mowfugger(ebay), RW Rope(Handy Hundred cord), GPJ Rope, FixMyBlinds.com, Supply Captain(Type I accessory cord), County Comm(3/32" tether cord), Atwood Rope MFG(micro/nano cord), also nibrol.com. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Those links really helped me find what I was looking for!

Anonymous said...

Would you be able to make a Zippo paracord case

Stormdrane said...

@Anonymous, A paracord Zippo case could be made, but because of the lighter size and the paracord diameter, it would not look like the card/tin sized version.

Smaller diameter cord, like shown with the partially made pouch, would make a better looking Zippo case, IMHO. You could certainly try tying both ways to decide whichever you prefer... ;)

Anonymous said...

Saw this on google images. Looked awesome so I decided to make a case for my phone. I didn't do the extra cobra wrap around it since my phone is slimmer and didn't need the extra width. I'll post an image later if I can figure out how.lol

Anonymous said...

Dave you do great work. Do you have a website where I can buy a few of these for my survival tins?

Stormdrane said...

I don't make them to sell, instead encourage folks to give knot work a try themselves.

There is the description and some pics of the process in the blog post to go by, and at least a couple of others have since made tutorials on instructables and maybe youtube.

For those just looking to buy one already made, some folks sell different versions on ebay, etsy , facebook, and some buy/sell/trade sections of some forums. ;)

Unknown said...

WOW, Amazing!