Friday, June 20, 2008

A simple paracord sling

Here's my first attempt at a simple model using paracord. The sling is about 4 ft long from loop to knot, the pouch is about 5 inches long and done in a weave with three warps. It looks a bit uneven since I made the weave loose, so it would conform somewhat to what I put in it. It's shown with a 3/4 inch ball bearing.

Here's another photo, this one showing how I made the three warps in the center of the 6 foot length of paracord, which I used for the main holding/release cord. I just made a short loop about halfway down the cord, tied an over hand knot around the standing end, the working end comes down the center of the loop, another overhand knot is tied with the working end going away from the loop. I didn't measure the cord I used for the weave, but figure to use about a foot of paracord per inch of weave plus some extra to be safe.



I ran the starting end of the weft(weaving cord) thru one of the overhand knots to keep it out of the way. when I finished, I tucked the paracord ends down the center of the weave on each end.


You can find lots of information abouts slings and slinging, at Slinging.org.

11 comments:

jester02k said...

so whats the max distance have you gotten with it ??

Stormdrane said...

I've not had a chance to test it yet, but I'll be sure to post when I do. =)

Anonymous said...

HOLY CANNOLI! Dude, you come up with the most AWESOME IDEAS! I was gonna work on making a knitting spool tonight, but I have a new project now, instead! Thanks!

-peacefuljeffrey

Stormdrane said...

I've been wanting to make my own since I bought a homemade one a few years ago. The credit for how to go about it goes to Slinging.org =)

Anonymous said...

I'm not able to get one going... too much ambiguity about how to start it. If you were to post additional pictures of the beginning of the weaving part, that would be the coolest thing ever. Thanks, man.

-peacefuljeffrey

Tami P said...

Your work is amazing.

Anonymous said...

That's true, his work is indeed amazing. I just had success with my first sling of this type. Thanks, Stormdrane!

-peacefuljeffrey

Boneguru said...

I would also ask fo rsome more info on the sling, I went to slinging.org and the designs they showed were good but the 3 vane model appears to have some more flexibilty, please help us out, boneguru

Stormdrane said...

peacefuljeffrey posted a tutorial, on EDC Forums, for an improved version of this type of sling pouch. Hope that helps. :)

Cronos said...

Thanks, man!
Here's mine (along with an assorted "modern" sling):

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ga28ztgMhbc/TTbxWw3W7zI/AAAAAAAAAJM/tnJqA11dv4c/s1024/sling1.jpg

Your blog is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Adam said...

Good to see another slinger! It's great fun.