Saturday, February 07, 2009

Paracord holder for a 2 liter soda bottle...

Here's one way to use 70+ feet of paracord for a 2 liter bottle carrier. I occasionally reuse the soda/coke/cola bottles as water bottles.

Five separate sections(about 12 ft of cord each, made like a paracord bracelet without a buckle to about a 12 inch length).

Then center looped onto a small split ring at the bottom of the bottle, knotted each of the five paracord parts to the same length, ran a short length of paracord(1 ft piece at the top secured with a Black Crater Cord Lock Light) to secure the five parts at the top.

Then ran another long length of paracord(14 ft), starting at the bottom by tying a knot at one end and zigzagging up then down from one section to the next, and just looped the cord I had left around the top a few times.

I just used what I had for the zigzagging cord, but you could end up using a lot more if desired for that part by running the cord closer together as it's worked up, then down each section and maybe crossing the lines up going around again....

It was kind of hard to see the cord with the water in the bottle, so I added another photo.

A separate paracord strap or handle could be added, or carabiners might be used to clip the bottle to a bag/pack.

13 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

SD,

That is a great piece of work there!

I have to get me a spool of that 550!

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit
Southeast Regional OBS Coordinator

Anonymous said...

Wow this is such a great idea. I will have to give it try.

Anonymous said...

Very well done, actually a work of art.

sldhed8 said...

SD, I was toying with the same idea for a Nalgene type bottle. Instead of the sinnet, using carricks like a sort of web with a drawstring.

Anonymous said...

Great idea, bud!:)
BTW, do you have a tutorial for how to wrap a knife sheath using a cobra braid (as in, wrapping it without the center strands?
I should be able to do this but I just can't figure it out...thanks!:)
PMZ

Stormdrane said...

Anytime you want to wrap an object with the cobra stitch/Solomon bar/Portuguese sinnet, think of the object as the core strands. Find the center of your length of cord, and place it under the object. Bring the left cord under the object and over the the right cord. Take the right cord over the object and through the left cord loop. Then repeat the opposite, right cord under object, over left cord, left over object and through right loop, etc....

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5

Zak said...

Hi, I've seen your blog before but just glanced at it, but now I think I'll check it more often. Just a quick question, what do you do with all your knot stuff? You must have a lot laying around?

Stormdrane said...

I used to sell some online, but have quit doing that, so if I don't sell them locally, they go in a drawer, are given to friends/family, or get taken apart and reused for another project.

Unknown said...

Hi SD,
Great new project, I bet that took forever! I'm sorry that I am asking you this under these comments, but I don't know how else to contact you. I just the EOD Robotics breacher bar and was wondering if you could think of a different kind of wrapping job for the handle than what they show on their site or the one cutlerylover did. I can't do the long turk's head yet but I was wondering if you could think of something different. Not that I don't like the one they show, I was just wondering. Thanks, Gray.

Stormdrane said...

Maybe try something like this flashlight grip made with one length of cord making a few smaller/easier turks head knots with wraps inbetween them, it'd still work on a flat object like the breacher bar.

Andrew said...

That is a nice looking bottle holder. I saw this woven cup/soda can holder hanging from the support bar on a hammock. It looks like it shouldn't be that hard to make, but I'm having trouble finding instructions for such a project. Do you know where I could find a tutorial for this?

Stormdrane said...

That cup/soda holder looks like it was knitted. Similar to making a wool/yarn watch cap. Made the same way I've shown with the 3 peg spool lanyards, but on a larger scale using more pegs. I've only done the simple knitting spool stuff to use as lanyards, which is the basic start of what can be used for socks, hats, clothing, blankets, etc...

You can probably find a hoop/circle knitting loom with pegs at Walmart in the craft section or Michaels craft store. They usually have books/booklets on how to make things with them and I'm sure there's probably more info found online. Examples seen here.

Anonymous said...

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you always do such an AMAZING job. I'm a big paracord person my self and you give me such good ideas for paracord. Please, keep up the good work and keep on posting!!!:-)