This is another try for me, at a paracord sheath. I had tried one, two or three years ago, with a knotted section of paracord(like the paracord guitar strap I made), but wasn't satisfied with it, especially being too thick, and had put the idea on the long 'things to try later' list.
A recent thread on EDC Forums had me ready to give it another go and I used weaving this time. And if you don't mind the time and effort, this method can also be used for making variations of paracord bracelets, belts, shoulder straps, etc...
I used a long section of gutted paracord(about 12 ft used in finished sheath), to weave around four sections of paracord(inner strands intact), which were centered to have 8 strands to weave around.
A sample photo showing a short gutted piece of paracord woven around the other strands to give you the basic weaving method.
I started at the lined up centered ends, by sewing one end of the 12 ft working strand to itself, around the end of the cords. Then started weaving over, under, around, and back. Continuing until I had the length I wanted(about one foot long) and finished this part like I started by sewing the end to itself around an end cord strand.
I worked each the 8 loose strands back into weave on what will be the inside of the sheath, and trimmed/melted the ends in place. I could have sewed them down, but I just went for the quick fix. I also worked a length of shock cord into the weave for a loop which would go around the lanyard knot/button knot, that I added last, used to secure the sheath flap. Other options could be done with sewing velcro sections on, maybe a button or snaps, or maybe even magnets.
I folded the completed woven section over, to form the parts for the body and the flap of the sheath, using my Victorinox Spirit as a size guide. Then I took another 5 ft section of gutted paracord and worked it around the woven edges to make the sides. Going from the top of the body, down to the bottom, across, and back up the other side. The start and ends of the cord were tucked and worked into the inner woven sections. I did have some nylon webbing that could have been sewn in place for the sides instead of more paracord, and elastic would probably be even better to allow various sized items to fit in the sheath for a snug fit, but I decided to stick with using mostly paracord for this one.
I've not added a belt clip, belt loop, or other attachment method yet and that's just something else to experiment with later...