Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Half Hitched Paracord Drawstring Pouch

This one is tied in the same manner as the glow-in-the-dark pouch of the previous post. I used a one foot long piece of 550 paracord for the drawstring/cinch cord with cord lock, and 20 feet of paracord for the pouch.

I tied it around a 1.5" diameter by 5" long piece of foam tubing as a mandrel, but you could use a section of PVC pipe, or any other similar cylindrical object to tie around.

This was made for a multitool, like the Victorinox SwissTool seen in the photo, but since these half hitched pouches can expand/elongate/stretch, it also works well to store a cell phone, Altoids/survival tin, deck of cards, or a pistol magazine, etc...

I haven't added any belt loops to it, but I'm sure something like that could easily be rigged with some more paracord, a belt clip, or maybe a carabiner or two could also work to secure the pouch to a belt/bag/pack etc...

I'd guess at doubling the amount of cord for doing a paracord half hitched can koozie, to be on the safe side It can be tied directly around a soda/beer can. And since you're only feeding the cord around once for each half hitch, compared with twice for the cow hitching method, it takes a little less time.

And another photo of the pouch mounted onto a backpack shoulder strap with a few Grimlock Locking D Rings.

Stuart Grainger's 'Creative Ropecraft' has some good diagrams and variations of half hitching/needle hitching.

8 comments:

deanS said...

Really enjoy the blog. But I was wondering how are you finishing your half hitching and if you show pics of that also? I've been thinking of making a half hitched covering over a neoprene water bottle cover and I haven't found a good way to end it.
Thank you
Btw cut knitting needles do make ok lacing needles just have to find a way to secure them better.

Stormdrane said...

When coming around the bottom of an object, the half hitching spirals towards the center, just like a dreamcatcher.

I go to hitching around every other loop at this point, although I don't know if you can see it from the last photo I added to the blog post, of the bottom of the pouch.

I usually finish with a couple of tight half hitches in the center with the remaining end tucked up inside the pouch. You can further secure the end(and the starting end) with a little needle and thread, melting in place, or a drop of super glue...

Knotty Sean said...

Excellent as always SD. Good work!

deanS said...

Thanks Stormdrane
Got the reducing ,but the final finish was the issue. For some reason I forgot about stitching or the others to finish a project like this.

Andrew said...

Great really great. I have seen a lot blog related to rope knots but this one is really nice one.

Mild Bill said...

Thanks for the suggestion about "Creative Ropecraft". I recieved my copy yesterday and am very pleased with it.

Unknown said...

this is a really ingenious idea is there a toturial somewhere that i can find out how to make one of these i cant seem to get started and ive been searching for a couple hours now.

Stormdrane said...

I've posted a link to a hitching tutorial in the previous blog post to this one, and a photo collage of hitching in another blog post.

The difference is using a cinch cord/drawstring to tie onto instead of tying the cord onto itself at the start.