Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chinese Crown Knot lanyard...

The knot used for this paracord lanyard/fob is a two strand lanyard knot, called the 'Chinese Crown Knot'. This is knot #808 in the ABoK(Ashley Book of Knots). The knot is also known as the Chinese cross, or the Rustler's or Friendship knot. Another knot book has it named as the Japanese Crown Knot or Japanese Success Knot.

I tied a series of eight of them with a three foot long length of paracord(inner strands intact), adding a little west country whipping on the end with some 0.9mm cord.

The knife shown is a Spyderco Salt I. In a couple of the photos, there's a ball bearing used to prop the knife up in back of the Spydie hole, just sayin' cause I know someone will ask. A carabiner or S-Biner could be used as an attachment, if clipped between the last couple of knots.

10 comments:

Neil said...

It would make an awesome bracelet!

Anonymous said...

How do you tie whippings on paracord? I know how on plied rope from The Marlinspike Sailor, etc. Thx

Stormdrane said...

The west country whipping was tied around both end strands of paracord, the same way it would be tied around a single strand of rope. You can use different methods of whipping depending on how many strands are being whipped.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this knot tied with a single piece of cord before. I wonder if you could make a cross using a single piece, and maybe doubling the knot side by side for the arms, like a brick instead of a square? I'll give it a try. Thanks for the photos.

botfly said...

I was wondering if you had any sellers of paracord you would recomend. I found some I like on amazon.com but am looking for other colors and smaller sizes. I just can seem to find any one with sufficient info on their site. Thanks. -mb

Stormdrane said...

A few paracord sources from my blog's links list:

Supply Captain

Going Gear

TAD Gear

County Comm

Lighthound

botfly said...

Thank you very much for the links!!!

Landser said...

What would be a good, decent book for a beginner, just getting started, and only going to be using paracord?

Stormdrane said...

A good book for a beginner would be 'The Book of Decorative Knots by Peter Owen.

Landser said...

Thank you!
Will be ordering a book soon. Thanks again, and enjoying trying to figure out how you did some of your work!