Sunday, July 31, 2011

Stitched Solomon Bar Paracord Bracelet with Side Release Buckle...

JD of Tying It All Together put up a YouTube video tutorial for tying the 'Stitched Solomon Bar' bracelet. It's a simple(why didn't I think of that) variation of the basic cobra stitch/Solomon bar/Portuguese sinnet/square knotting macrame type paracord bracelet, with the knots alternating around the two core strands of the bracelet.

I added a 5/8" curved/contoured side release buckle and used a single length of paracord instead of the two colors with a knot and loop closure method shown in the video. The difference from the knot/loop method is attaching the cord to the buckle ends like a regular paracord bracelet, adjust for wrist length(I added 1" to my wrist size), then follow JD's tutorial for knotting around the core strands. With the 5/8" sized buckle the paracord was looped around the buckle ends twice before knotting to fill up the space, but using smaller 1/2" or 3/8" sized side release buckles would also work.

I tucked/pulled the working ends, using hemostats/forceps, under a few knots on the underside of the bracelet, then trimmed to finish. I ended up using just a little over one foot of paracord per one inch of bracelet length. Using side release buckles also makes this project useful for tying dog/cat pet collars. You can try using more core strands(4/6) between the buckle ends before knotting, to carry more usable cord in the bracelet should it be needed, but this will also make for a thicker/wider bracelet...

8 comments:

Dan said...

Man that is a really nice paracord bracelet!! JD made a nice video there, I like your additions of the side release buckles that is very handy upgrade.

Simone Bissi said...

do you have posted the video? i didn't find the link....
thanks for wonderful job!

Stormdrane said...

@ilS1mon, I haven't posted a video on the 'Stitched Solomon Bar' bracelet. I just attached the paracord to the side release buckles, like is done with a few other paracord bracelet methods, then I followed TIAT's video tutorial for tying the two working ends of the paracord around the two core strands of the bracelet. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Looking really good. Inspiring to say the least. A video would rock or maybe a pdf at Instructables ? ;-)

Best regards

Anonymous said...

Hey Stormdrane,

This is off topic to this thread but I couldn't find any other way to contact you. Anyway I really hope you can help. It would be MOST helpful if you can give a picture walkthrough on the way you thread the cord through both ends of the side release buckles. I know that some of the weaves call for different threading but a common thread would be helpful. I've been using D-Shackles and have recently switched to the side release buckles and I'm getting stumped on what would be the best. Thank you for your time and creativity. I've learned a lot from you already.

Stormdrane said...

@blazex360, I thread the paracord onto the buckle ends the same way that I've shown for a couple of other paracord bracelet tutorials, here and here.

If using a 3/8" or 1/2" buckle, they're looped around each buckle end once, if using a 5/8" buckle the cord is looped around each buckle end twice, to fill up the space on the buckle, once the paracord is attached to the buckle ends, adjust for wrist size.

From there you have the two working ends of paracord to work around the two core strands as shown in the 'Stitched Solomon Bar' tutorial.

Emily said...

Love all of your tutorials! Your photo collage of the cobra bracelet was so easy to follow, and it was the first time I had made any paracord bracelets! Just curious if you have a photo collage for the stitched solomon bar bracelet? Not sure if anyone has already asked, I was just curious myself. I'm on a gov computer at work and cannot view youtube videos. =[ Thank you for sharing all of your talents, I'm sure it's very appreciated by many! =]

Stormdrane said...

@Emily, I've not made a collage/photo tutorial for the 'Stitched Solomon Bar' and don't know if any else has yet either, but it usually doesn't take long before one of the many knot tyers online puts something up. ;)