Thursday, July 22, 2010

Planet Earth Globe Knot, ABoK #2216...

This knot, found in 'The Ashley Book of Knots' as knot #2216, forms the shape of an oblate spheroid. Geoffrey Budworth calls it the 'Planet Earth' knot in 'The Complete Book of Decorative Knots', because of it's shape.

The diagrams for the knot, from both books, can be found linked online here(ABoK #2216) and here(TCBoDK). There's another tutorial for this knot on the KHWW.net website.

I used 3/32" diameter CoolGlowStuff cord(similar in size to paracord) to tie the knot on a flat surface, making 4 passes, then shaping it around a 1.25 inch diameter foam ball, and tightening/working the slack out. There's about 9 feet of cord used in the tightened knot with the core size I used. This one'll make for a large key chain fob or maybe a pull for a ceiling fan...

7 comments:

Jackson said...

W-O-W!! That's amazing, Stormdrane. Thanks for sharing!

To be honest, I'm pretty intimidated by those complex diagrams in the Ashley book (like the one for this knot). Seeing this finished product, I might give this one a try.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, I was just thinking about Globe knots last week and I thought I might tie one. Good job.

demuredemeanor said...

http://igktfrance.com/galerie_photo/thumbnails-33.html
and
http://igktfrance.com/galerie_photo/thumbnails-38.html

These are two globe knots that can be tied just with your hand.

JJiGz said...

Any chance you could do this planet earth ball on your youtube channel? The description in the books are pretty intimidating im more of a hands on learner and i learned the turks head from ur video and i subscribed because of it =) Thanks for the videos and hope to see more soon!

Unknown said...

Very Nice. I've looked at that knot in the Budworth book many times, but haven't set aside the time to attempt it yet. Maybe if I have a little time this weekend now that I know it can be done.

Anonymous said...

welll....I reckon some folks have tried em...

globe_knots
[clck for pics]

they are lots of fun to tie!
the globe knot book is an oft spoken about reference as well...enjoy!

TeachingDaddy said...

These are really neat knots but intimidating for me. I like to have the tut printed out so I can reference them wherever I am. I've organized demuredemeanor's linked tuts for the 18 and 45 face globes into a pdf. Here they are. Enjoy:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BwxRR0YGOYciODBiNmNkYmMtNmU3ZC00YjZkLTgyNDgtZjk2NTU4ZjhjYTA3&authkey=CPii6MUL&hl=en

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BwxRR0YGOYciOWIwYWMyODQtMjgwNy00MGZmLWIyZjEtODA3MmQ5MzI4Yjhh&authkey=CMWtk7AH&hl=en

btw: love your blog Stormdrane. It is inspiring.