Sunday, October 16, 2011

Knot Tying Challenges...

The 'Chief Knot Head' on the Knot Heads World Wide website(Brian), has put up a few knot tying challenges with diagrams from an Argentine knot book.  I gave the third one a try today and manged to work it out.  

You can see the diagrams for the first and second challenges from the links, and I just noticed a fourth was added to the forums this afternoon, so I'll be certain to give it a try when I get a chance.

They can make for an interesting bit of time spent puzzling them out, and looking for ways to apply the decorative patterns to some useful knot work...



I made an ID badge lanyard from the knot work of the second challenge, and a paracord bracelet for my mom with the third.  

I had four strands coming from the third pattern, so I modified a single strand sack knot/bracelet binding knot, that I found in 'The Directory of Knots', to use as a closure on the bracelet, shown before I trimmed the ends close to the knot...

10 comments:

Dan said...

That ID badge carrier looks really cool. I would guess that it took some time working this one out so congrats!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Stormdrane,

I recently discovered your Blog and have been following it for a few months. YOU MUST GO INTO BUSINESS SELLING ALL THIS TOTALLY COOL KNOT STUFF. I personally would be a third of your revenue. I know the point is to share information, try yourself, etc. Well, I have no time. But I sure like your knots. So turn this thing into e-commerce pronto! Keep up the great posts.
P.S--We all want to know: What is Stormdrane??

ithinkknot said...

Where do you get the closure ends for the badge lanyard?

Stormdrane said...

@ithinkknot, the safety break-away ends came from Lighthound.com.

BlackShamrock said...

I've seen your paracord crosses, is there any way you could come up up with a Thor's Hammer for us Heathens that follow your site? Love your work.

Stormdrane said...

@BlackShamrock, A simple Thor's hammer can be done with a round or square sinnet. Tying the long bottom section of the cross as the hammer handle with attachment loop, then the side arms go out to the sides, like the cross, but only tying one knot where the top section of the cross would be.

A fancier version could also be done with a 'T' junction turks head knot, like seen on this ship/boat wheel, but that's a bit beyond the amateur knot work I do. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello I saw the last photo here and remembered something similar that was made into a bracelet. Do you happen to know what this braid is called and maybe a tutorial reference. http://www.etsy.com/listing/90782579/the-japan-paracord-bracelet-custom

Stormdrane said...

@Anonymous, That knot goes by several names, including Japanese Success knot, Chinese Crown knot, friendship knot, rustler's knot, cross knot, etc...

I've done several different projects with it, making lanyards, fobs, bracelets, watchbands, and crosses.

Here's one post with a video.

Unknown said...

Hey! I've been browsing your blog and I love what you've been doing! I was wondering though if you have a tutorial video for the First and second picture? I love the chevron look! Thanks!

Stormdrane said...

@Nicole, I have not posted any videos on these knot challenges, that were shared by Brian on the KHWW.net site. I believe he got them from an Argentine knot book.

His website went down a few months ago, but has been restarted at KHWW.net, where you can register to get in. I do not know if Brian has reposted any of the progressive diagrams that were shown in the knot challenges.