Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Some recent SAK lanyards...

I tied several SAK (Swiss Army Knife) lanyards with 1.4mm cord over gutted paracord, and finally bought a jig with some of my birthday money to try out as an extra pair of hands to help in tying them.

The finished length of the lanyards, with clip/loop ends is around nineteen or so inches, which is about the jig's longest setting, slightly shorter than the spool knit lanyards that I usually make at around two foot long, but still long enough for me to use as a knife, flashlight, multitool, or wallet lanyard for edc (everyday carry) use.

I haven't been tying very much lately because of vision problems (Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy ~ macular edema) in one of my eyes.  I've gone back to trying simpler knot work where I can see what I'm doing, although it's difficult with depth perception problems and everything is blurry/dark/distorted and color is off too now out of one eye.

I can't see the cord's overs/unders with the recent eye going bad, and trying to focus just gives me headaches, beyond the migraines that already plague me.  Even trying to read the computer screen or watch television is problematic (trying to read the closed caption text because of my hearing loss/tinnitus), as my face is about 10 inches away from the monitor with my eyeglasses off.

I'll keep tying as long as I can, and trying to take decent photos too, although that's a challenge beyond what it was before as well.  I added one of those magnifying glass floor lamps to my amazon wish list in case I sell some things from the gadget drawer collection to eventually be able to put it in the budget.  I don't know if it would help me see better when tying or not though...

Knives shown in the photos with the lanyards are my Victorinox Spartan, Tinker, and silver alox and black alox Pioneers, and a blue alox Farmer. Lanyard and bracelet in the last photo are made with orange 1.8mm reflective guyline and blue Handy Hundred cord and paracord core for the knife lanyard.






3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your medical troubles, you're one of my go to guys for Paracord inspiration and easy to understand tutorials. Even though it's simpler than some of your other work, it's still super clean and cool looking!

Michael Ethan said...

Awesome SAK lanyards are...

Micky_1000 said...

Hello Mr Stormdrane, how are you? Great looking work. The color combinations work well together. I'm trying to figure out where the ends of your weaves are. I'll be making one of these soon. Your help is greatly appreciated.