Thursday, July 30, 2020

Conquistador paracord watchband

I tied this Conquistador braid watchband yesterday, using olive drab colored type I/#95 paracord.  
The braid is shown in Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding.  There are a few different YouTube videos on the braid if you're inclined to give tying a bracelet/watchband/lanyard version a try.  This one is a good one to follow.

I uses about 8.5 feet of cord on the buckle side of the watchband and 15 feet on the other.  Doing 5 loops was good for the width, but that does leave the pins visible on mine, so if I tied another one I would start off with more loops around the pins to fill the space up at the start and just work with 5 loops from there.

I tried a couple of different strap keepers on the band before going with a simple loop of gutted paracord.  The leather gaucho knot and Spanish ring knots that I tried seemed too bulky for my liking as did trying those with the type I/#95 paracord.

I used a buckle from one of my other watchbands with the same width as the watch's lugs/pins (20mm). The braided band doesn't pull through the buckle smoothly, but is still manageable.

I four adjustment holes that I worked into the watchband are spaced a little less than a half inch apart.

EDC pocket dump
~ Victorinox Red Alox Cadet SAK
~ Maratac Brass AAA LED Flashlight
~ Citizen Promaster Watch with Conquistador braid paracord watchband
~ Leather ID/coin pouch with paracord wrist lanyard and knotted bead

I have a hotdog colored theme stuck in my head today for some reason. With yellow/mustard, red/ketchup, green/relish, but I could still add chili, cheese, slaw, onions, sauerkraut, and jalapeƱos, lol...

No comments: