Saturday, August 08, 2020

A gaucho knot bracelet

I tied this gaucho knot bracelet with orange tether cord and navy blue mini blind string (Auburn University colors). 

The knot is started by tying a three lead five bight (3L5B) Turk's head knot, then expanding that into a five lead nine bight (5L9B) Turk's head knot.  Then we work in a gaucho interweave to get the nine lead sixteen bight (9L16B) Turk's head knot.  I tripled the knot, making two passes in navy blue string then following in between those with the orange cord.

I tied the knot around a can of air duster, which is about eight inches or so around, similar in size to a soda can. I made this one for Ma, so the finished size was large enough to fit/squeeze over her hand and onto her wrist. 

I asked Ma if she could spot the error and she said she saw a little white spot when she was pulling the bracelet over her hand. That wasn't the mistake, but I told her I couldn't find the orange Sharpie marker to cover up the white core strand of the orange cord on the inner edge of the bracelet where I'd trimmed and glued the standing end.

The error was a missed over/under that I didn't catch until I was on the third pass, and after a few uttered profanities I just continued on to complete the bracelet.  My excuse is that I am legally blind after all, lol...  WAR EAGLE!

No comments: