Thursday, May 06, 2010

Adjustable Paracord Watchband...

I made this adjustable paracord watchband with the similar weaving method to the paracord pouches/sheaths that I made, with the common basket weaving pattern.

This example is just a rough draft and can use some tweaking to improve it, but I still like the overall outcome.

I took the buckle off an old leather watchband and added four 1 ft long lengths of gutted paracord. I attached the paracord pieces to the buckle, with needle and thread, by sewing the end of each in a small loop around the buckle end.

I used a longer 7 or 8 ft long length of gutted paracord to do the over/under weaving around the four strands. I stopped when I ran out of paracord, then trimmed and tucked the ends. The ends can be sewn in place to further secure them. A short gutted length was used for the tucking band, made by tucking one end into itself and sewn together. It could be sewn in place on the watchband, but I left it free floating to slide where I needed it.




The band is not as long as I'd like it, so I'd use longer lengths of cord for further attempts. I didn't measure out the longer length before I started, so I haven't narrowed down how much is needed for a specific woven length. It's a tight fit for the paracord between the watch and pins. After I made the watchband, I removed the watch pins from the lugs, laid the band over the watch, and reinserted the pins to install the band. The watch stays in place on the band.


I would further secure the cord in the areas where the buckle pin comes through the paracord when sized around the wrist, to keep the cord from being pushed/pulled/stretched out around the pin. I need to get some heavy duty thread or possibly a kevlar sewing thread, which would be stronger and more durable than regular cotton/polyester thread.

My Timex Expedition Field Watch served guinea pig duty for this project, and a Suunto Clipper Compass(luminous/glow-in-the-dark) was also attached to the finished watchband.

And it can be worn alone, as an adjustable paracord bracelet...

A two-toned version, shown with green over tan paracord.

25 comments:

HamPara said...

Its awesome. I have a question mate the buckle you use was from the old watchbands or you have supplied from somewhere???
Thanks

HamPara said...

Yes i have read it for the buckle.....my mistake. Anyway its beauty.

Jennifer said...

Very, very nice.

Promotional Codes said...

Wow! it's really cute.It's new great trendy styles.I like it.

LoopyLacer said...

Please be careful with kevlar sewing thread, or spectra, or even nylon! A thread that is TOO strong could cut what you are sewing with it -- fabric, cording, etc. I'd just stick with strong sewing thread, like 'button and craft' or 'upholstery' or 'hand quilting' (not quite as heavy as the other two) thread.

Just a thought...

VERY nice watchbands! : - D

Unknown said...

I have several Swiss Army watches that came with stainless steel bands that are no longer large enough for me. I love the look of your watch bands; they look like they would be VERY comfy. Would you be willing to make a few of these for sale to me ?


Phil
browngoat@gmail.com

Stormdrane said...

The paracord watchbands are comfortable and not too hard to make for the do-it-yourself types, and I recommend folks give knot work a try, along with a dose of patience.

I've gotten away from selling knot work and doing requests because it was too expensive to keep a variety of materials on hand, time consuming, and it gets me burned out on my hobby.

I usually refer requests to someone like Ken Cardwell, or other knot tyers on various forums that do some custom knot work, usually found in the buy/sell/trade sections.

botfly said...

I was wondering on this project.... that instead of using the watchband clasps, could I use a curved side release buckle, I am think a 3/8's with hollowed 550 cord. To give it the custom fit. My question is what would be the best method of tying off the ends and attaching them to the buckles?

I guess I could basically do as you have done and sew the end and loop the other...

Would that work best...? Your thoughts...?

Stormdrane said...

I think sewing would work best on the watchband if you use side release buckles. Sew at the start and wrap around at the finish, tuck the ends where you can and sew to reinforce.

botfly said...

Something that I found by accident is that when you put your final project in hot water the paracord seizes up on it self. So if you have a close fit but just not where you want it, put it in hot water and see how it turns out. (Caution: May Shrink alot or a little.)
Just completed my beta version of this project. I wish I would have made the weave tighter. Maybe next time...

Anonymous said...

Stormdrane, your instructions are excellent! My 11 year old son and I have found something we really like to do together, thanks in no small part to you! In the last 2 days, we have made zipper pulls, watchbands (flat braid and basketweave), keyring lanyards, etc. If you figure out the hand sanitizer bottle cover, I will definitely try one of those, too. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog today and just had to leave you a comment of encouragement. Your work is fascinating, and fantastic. Thanks, and keep it up!

Unknown said...

This is perfect. Wow

keychains promotional products said...

Nice wristband with watch.

Brandon Deal said...

Can you show me how to flat weave the band? I would really like to know how. I understand a little but the butt end that goes through the buckle confuses me.

Thanks!

Stormdrane said...

@Brandon Deal, The post on the woven 'paracord sheath' shows an example of how one strand is woven over/under the fixed length strands, going back and forth.

I just used one strand to do the weaving around four strands(2 cords middled at the buckle) for the length of the watchband.

Then tuck the fixed length strands back into/under the previous weave to finish. Sewing with needle/thread or a couple drops of super glue can be used to further secure the end strands.

teste said...

Muito legal... as pessoas da sobrevivência aqui no Brasil agradecem pelo seu blog... Abraços

Anonymous said...

dear sir, i don't know how to say this... but i don't quite understand how to finish the basket weave.. on each side.. can you give me a more detail picture for both end...

Stormdrane said...

@Anonymous, The ends of the paracord are folded back and tucked into the weave, trim the ends, then a needle and thread are run through to secure the ends in place. ;)

Unknown said...

Drane, this is AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Make a youtube video tutorial?
That would help soooo much.

David W. By Gawd Andrews said...

This is awesome! The two colors of OD and Khaki are perfect for my watch. Any chance of a video?

Unknown said...

Come like paracord R us on Facebook 200 likes I'm doing a give away

Josh said...

Hi,

This looks awesome and something i want to try out, however i am not finding much luck on how to do the weave you are talking about, do you have directions or another place i can go to get an understanding of how to do this?

Stormdrane said...

After attaching the strands to the buckle, as described in the post, the weaving is basic from one side to the other, then back again in the opposite direction, worked along the desired length.

You can look at one of my instructables for another example of the weaving, and it works for however many strands you wish to weave around for a bracelet/watchband/belt.

Our clothes, sheets, curtains, and most fabrics are made with smaller diameter thread in the same fashion. ;)