Tuesday, July 17, 2007

1mm waxed cotton cord...

I found some 1mm diameter black waxed cotton cord in the craft section at Walmart, there was also some 100% cotton braiding cord on a card with 3 assorted colors, each in a 12 yard length. It braids well on a small 3 peg knitting spool and will probably work well for use as a lanyard for a SAK(Swiss Army Knife), as a wrist lanyard, an ID badge lanyard, etc... Of course it's not as strong or durable as paracord, but it is another less expensive alternative.

I used this one to replace the ball chain on one of my neck knives.
Posted by Picasa
I used about 34 feet of 1mm brown cotton cord for this braided neck lanyard. The braid uses around 1 ft of cord per 1 inch of braid. I put a split ring on it to use for adding an ID badge, whistle, small multi-tool or clippers for use when fishing, a small flashlight, a pen, etc...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to have some directions on how you made that brown cotton cord lanyard.

Stormdrane said...

It was made on a 3 peg spool like most of the others I've done. The 5/16/2007 blog entry has a short video showing the basics of using the spool. To finish, I just looped the two single strands over the key ring and did the snake knot over those strands.