Monday, October 15, 2007

Carrick Mat

This is a Carrick Mat that I made with olive drab 550 paracord. Here's a tutorial link (updated since the original disappeared), and it's also known as a thump mat

The original diagram I linked to, showed it being made using your fingers, but I just laid it out on the table to tie it.

I started with about 15 feet of paracord, and after working the slack out, I ended up trimming a couple feet of excess off.

Made with paracord, it makes a nice coaster, a mat to lay your keys/flashlight/knife/multitool on to keep from scratching up your nightstand or dresser, or attached to the top of a boonie hat with a couple of safety pins as another way to carry some extra cord while adding a little decoration to the hat.  *Note, if added to a hat, don't get mad if folks ask you what instrument you play in the marching band, lol...











...and another done in GID(glow-in-the-dark) cord from Cool Glow Stuff!. I'll put this one on my nightstand as a coaster for the glass of water I keep next to the bed. If I wake up thirsty in the middle of the night, I won't have to turn on the lamp to see the glass, it'll be illuminated by the mat.

5 comments:

The Paracorder said...

this one right here would be a great one to do a video of just thought I'd let you know that

Anonymous said...

Love it. Only one question, how do you finish it?

Stormdrane said...

After making the first turn following the diagram, you follow the first cord all the way thru for however many turns you want in the mat. The time consuming part is working the slack out. Where you start and finish each turn is where you'll trim the cords, after you've tightened the mat up. They'll be hidden on the bottom of the mat. I just melt the ends of the cord and quickly press them to the bottom of the mat so they stay in place. You can also use super glue across the bottom(this makes it permanent) of the mat to make sure it all stays in place.

Erich said...

Hey Stormdrane... I absolutely love your blog... I'm trying to make a set of carrick mat coasters for my upcoming wedding... the link you have here to the pattern seems dead. Any chance you know of another tutorial online that would show me how to make this design? Thanks!

Stormdrane said...

I dunno what happened to the tutorial, it may still be somewhere on the khww.net site...

Here's another for a 'Thump Mat'.