Tuesday, August 13, 2019

More trying with knot tying...

I continue to try and practice my paracord knot tying and photography, despite the aggravation my eyesight has been giving me.

As in a couple of previous posts, I've tied an extended crown and diamond knot, also shown pictured here loosely tied before drawing it up tight.  This is knot #785 in ABoK (The Ashley Book of Knots).

Knot tying friend Mabel Marbel has shared an example on instagram of the elongated crown and diamond with another further lengthened version. I'd done a blog post about the base version (ABoK #784) a few years ago.

I tied the lengthened version without following any instructions, just playing around with variations from the base knot.  Note that he diagram in ABoK is said to be incorrect.

The knot is shown in two different positions in my photos, one where it was initially tightened, and another where I'd worked the knot down against the reflective knot bead.

For the attachment end of the lanyard at the titanium screw link with brass screw gate, I went with a  cat's paw with a bull hitch twist, adding a bead that I tied some time ago from the gadget drawer  (reflective orange guyline tied in a gaucho interweave knot, tightened over a wood bead, and give a coat of clear drying Krazy glue).  I finished the lanyard with a safety break away clasp. The knife is an older rigging model with marlinspike by Camillus.

No comments: