Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Cane retention...

The first knot work that I added to this cane included a gaucho interweave knot and single strand star knot with an adjustable wrist loop, all done with a single continuous strand of paracord.

But, after I later started adding more knots to the cane I cut off the wrist loop section from the first knot and have regretted doing that since.

So, I found a scrap length of paracord in my gadget drawer and tied a Spanish ring knot, extending one of the bights to serve as a wrist lanyard.

I use my cane almost every time I leave the house nowadays, and having a wrist loop for retention lets me let go of the cane if I need to for a moment without dropping it or having to set it down.

And it's done in camo green colored paracord, for today is St. Patrick's Day!  ;)

2 comments:

Sian said...

I hope you are well, Stormdrane. I'm concerned since I read elsewhere that you will need dialysis.

Some years ago I discovered your knotwork on Pinterest when I was researching knots to make paracord prayer beads. I only needed two knots and my project was successful, considering not too many people want prayer beads. Now I'm in need of those knots again since my 67 year old brain has forgotten them. Anyway I'm looking at your work again.

pardon my rambling, just wanted to wish you well.

Jane Schneider

patrick anderson said...

I remember you from a long time ago. Fortunately your name is so unique I remembered it.

I have a collapsable baton that I keep in my car for those unforeseen situations. It has a rubber grip which is pretty good but no means of adding a lanyard to it. My dad taught me when I was young about using lanyards and the put over the thumb and then around the hand thing has stuck with me ever since. I'd feel better deploying it if I have a no fair means of retaining it.

I'm not that good with paracord. I can do the odd things but it's pretty limited. Do you have a video of how to do what you did to the top of the cane? I'm looking to do something like 1.5 inches on the handle and then do the adjustable loop.

I'd pay you to make one but I can't remember if you do custom work and I'm sure your busy with other things.

Kind regards,