Thursday, June 25, 2020

A Conquistador bracelet and medic alert fail...

I tied a Conquistador bracelet yesterday with the intention of adding my medic alert tag to it.

The bracelet came out alright, finished with a knot and loop closure, but my attempt with 0.9mm string in adding the tag came out looking terrible to me, lol.

The thin diameter black string pretty much disappears to my poor eyesight, offering no contrast against the black 550 paracord, so it looked like a blind man tried to do it, which one did.

My camera can focus on the work and I see it better when it's up on my desktop computer screen, so there was an audible, "Nope!", if anyone had been listening, and I removed the tag and string work from the bracelet.

I'll figure something out and try again, probably using a side release buckle for the next bracelet and maybe larger #95/type I paracord to stitch on the tag, or maybe do a two-piece bracelet with the tag, like a watchband...

The Conquistador braid is shown in Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding, I think it was pages 42-43 thereabouts.  There are also multiple tutorials on YouTube if you want to give a bracelet or watchband version a try.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suffer from MD and I’m having problems with my not so good eye too. The smaller paracord is also very tough for me to work. Two weeks ago I went fishing with friends. I literally took an hour for me to tie my fish line. Try seeing monofilament line on a sunny day in SW New Mexico? It was funny. A regular Texas goat rope!🤣